Explore how you and your partner view, engage with and use money in your life.
“By the time we reach adulthood, form relationships, and marry, our personal and financial self-esteem is already completely formed. Whatever modeling or messages we may have received have become hardwired patterns in the brain that are habitual and unconscious…
Over time, both of you can learn how to interrupt — or, more optimally, change — your money dynamics and thus improve your lives and financial outcomes.”
– Deborah Price, Director of the Money Coaching Institute (USA).
In some couples, it feels like one partner sees money completely differently to other? For one partner, money equals fun, adventure and life-giving. For another it may feel like safety, comfort and security. And this is not uncommon. Money can signify different things to different people.
Ultimately, getting on the same page is not about assimilating views. You don’t need to think and feel exactly like your partner. But you do need to understand where they’re coming from and what it means to them.
Only then, you can truly work together to create your joint desired outcomes.
This is where this specific Couple Money Coaching process is designed to shine.
It’s not about making one person right or wrong, good or bad.
This process is about understanding perspective, experiences, triggers and habits. It helps couples improve their money dynamics to achieve better financial outcomes.
As a Certified Money Coach (CMC)® I can say conflicting money patterns and beliefs is a genuine struggle. No longer do we exist where one person is the main breadwinner. Or where one partner wishes to assume the passive position in a financial relationship.
This is where Couple Money Coaching and Money Types comes in to help.
The Couples Money Coaching process is not about where to save $50, it looks deeper around why or why not you aren’t speaking about or in agreeance about how to move forward financially together.
Money Types gives couple language and an awareness process that identifies old behavioural patterns and beliefs around money that are causing challenges. Inherited money patterns and poor modelling in our childhood can have us floundering in adulthood.
Couples Money Coaching can help you if…
- One partner or both feel unheard or misunderstood often around money.
- Even though you try, you don’t speak about money together, it’s so overwhelming or emotional .
- You make agreements together, but they often get broken, either both partners deciding to reneg on what was said or one person often breaks the agreement.
- There has been financial betrayal or misunderstanding in the couple that needs to be dealt with and worked through
- One partner finds joy from money by spending and the other seeks safety or security by saving.
- You both have had previous relationships where money has been challenging and you want to move into the new relationship with your eyes open and as intentionally as possible.
- Lack of action or procrastination is causing financial hardship or issues in the couple
- Bringing up spending, bills or savings is very touchy or heated in your household.
- In the couple, one or both partners may be dealing with challenges such as compulsive spending, financial infidelity, debt addiction, hoarding, overspending, underspending, money phobia, compulsive gambling, financial enabling, chronic underearning, and workaholism.
6 X 2 hour consultations
A Money Type Map each
New financial agreement for the couple
How does Couples Money Coaching work?
We meet weekly for 6 weeks. You will be provided with exercises and resources during our time together. After these sessions you will also receive a personalised Money Type Map, your record of all that discussed above. And finally you will co-create a new financial agreement. This is not a numerical document, this looks at how we want to communicate, embody values and use money together.
We will work towards:
- Getting on the same page in regards to money and financial priorities.
- Understand triggers, stressors or re-occuring differences between each other around money.
- Improve the way you speak and do money together.
- Learn new skills and ways of communicating together around money.
- Move out of default roles where one person may be dominant and the other passive.
- Gain insight into new ways to have financial intimacy, transparency and safety around money.
Please use this chat to clarify questions, ask about inclusions and other queries.